[Tigers] axle removal

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] axle removal
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 23:34:54 -0700 (PDT)
I have been in the process of removing my axles in order to repack or replace
the bearings. I removed the hubs months ago but have been working on my old
shovel head so I could try riding again. Tonight I decided I had to get the car
up and running again (Suni soon)and attempted to pull the axle. I remember one
member said he used a small bottle jack but I dont have one that short. SO, I
tried the old chain trick which worked fine the last axle I pulled( a Toyota )
but didnt touch the Tiger axle. Next I went to AutoZone and borrowed a tool but
their axle puller wouldnt bolt to the hub. I then found a piece of 3/8s
allthred and made two bolts. I inserted it thru the hub with a nut on the
inside of the hub- thinking I could tighten the nut and push the hub back thus
pulling the axle. I had to jam 2 nuts on the end of the allthread so I could
turn the bolt while holding the inside nut. I put another pice on an oppisite
corner thinking I needed to push
 straight. I used two 3/8 drive allen sockets with the allen wrench removed to
push against the axle housing. It worked with ease and Im sure I didnt need the
second bolt as one would have worked great. Thought I would pass this along in
case anyone else removes the axle. I have heard of different methods but not
the push bolt one I used. More on removing the bearings and seals as I continue
on Monday.
TtT