Re: [Tigers] Going to the light side.....alternator

To: <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Going to the light side.....alternator
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 16:16:40 -0600
Some "two-wire" alternators have an additional output that can be wired
to the charge light... Others actually use the ignition switch wire, a
diode and the lightbulb to enable the alternator... When the ignition is
turned on (but without the engine running), the current flows through
the diode and the bulb; when the engine is started, the alternator
brings the voltage on the other side up and the bulb goes out. You'd
have to dig through the wiring diagram for the original application of
your alternator to see what their intentions were.

I put together this solid state regulator with undervoltage detection:
http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/stabilizer/stabilizer.html

It illuminates the LED (and the OEM charge light if you want) when the
system voltage is below about 12.7 volts. I have some on hand, and Tom
Hall also does.

Theo