Re: [Tigers] axle shims

To: <achd73@yahoo.com>, Tigers Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] axle shims
From: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:24:56 -0400
Son,

Tony, Tony, Tony, you need to start earlier on these things...

I have no particular advise on the shims.

Just get some rest and approach it logically, starting with some of the good
suggestions offered here, I know it can be hard when you are tired and your
brain stops focusing....been there done that.

I am looking forward to partying with you and your friend Mike....you said
beer and munchies, right? Don't tell mom.

Paul

DaddyTiger

P.S. next time call me and dear old dad will come down and help you out.

> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 07:16:10 -0700
> From: achd73@yahoo.com
> To: tigers@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Tigers] axle shims
>
> As per the norm, Im always working on my car the dy Im suppose to be
leaving- this time for SUNI. I just replaced the axle bearings and I have
serious back problems, so I took several days to do the entire project plus
chasing down orgianl type seals isnt easy either. I wasnt sure where the shims
went on the axle and the shop mannual didnt have a very good pic. The book
also said there should be equal thickness of shims on each side. well, my car
had one shim that was made from 1/4 " plate and a few thin ones- i didnt use
it when I put the axles back in. The book also says ther should be .006 to
.008 of what Im going to cal endplay- back and forth of the axle - whatever
that is. When I left the shop this moring, after working all night( stop
laughing DaddyTiger) th Tiger was purring. It hasnt be driven in a long time
and suddenly I had a noise coming from the rear end. Im goin to try to locate
it but Im a bit afraid to drive it. I left out the thick shim
> becuse what the shop man. said about equal ammounts of shims per side and
too, it looked home made and had a different size hole in its center. It might
be low on rearend lube- so Im starting there- maybe a brake came loose so i
will check that or maybe its a Ujoint- Ok, i didnt spin the tirs but I did
wind second gear out. I went first to buy gas, then headed home- all was fine
for about a mile- then I slowd down to go on the square( midwest towns have a
square in their center- along w/ the courthouse) and the knck started- i
pulled over becuse it sounded like a flat tire- wrong there. I went on home
and the knock went along with my speed- the faster I went, the faster it
knocked- I didnt go fast tho for fear of tearing something up- any advice is
welcome and knowledge about the shims is alos GOOD. I have until noon tomorrow
to have the Tiger at the StLois airport to pick up a hitchiker going to SD and
if I dont show up, my arse is kicked. Im so tierd
> I cant think and my front end shop , who I made an appointment with for this
a.m. is closed yeaterday and today- Whay I was told to bring the Tiger in is
beyound me. Throw me some ideas please. especially anyone who has had hands on
doing this job themselves. With luck I put a brake spring on wrong and it came
off and the brake shoe is the noise or maybe the key is hitting something as I
cleaned it up extremely better than it was. AND, its the hottest day of the
year so far in souuthern IL. or even Mo. Im melting down and I have to go to
SUNI. Norman say. Use my blood for brake fluid, make gaskest out of my skin- I
have to go to SUNI- Norman say.Buy gasoline with my change, I gotta go to
SUNI, Norman say.I have to meet my west cost friends and drink beer Im sure, I
gotta go to SUNI, Norman say.If the car doesnt go, what will i do? Norman
didnt tell me but I gotta go to SUNI, Schriner say.