Re: [Tigers] SUNI (overheating)

To: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] SUNI (overheating)
From: "spook01" <spook01@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:45:56 -0500
hi all,
back in the 70's, we used a manometer to measure pressure under the hood of
a tiger at various speeds in various locations.
what we found was that air becomes trapped inside the engine compartment as
you whiz along the highway.
to allow it to escape, the factory put vents in the sides of the rally cars,
and some  guys put vents in the hoods, either at the rear corners (like the
LAT hood), or directly over the exhaust manifolds.
these areas correspond to the highest pressure areas under the hood.
raising the hood in the rear is not a good idea, since the base of the
windshield is also a high pressure area, and blocks air outflow from the
engine compartment.
the 260 type open impellor can cavitate at speed, causing a lowering of
efficiency of the pump, and more overheating!  the enclosed impellor used in
the 289 302 works better.
we found low speed op to be very nearly a different problem.  flow through
the tiny matrix was a major factor, not outflow of air (so much).
thus, the Volvo fan, aluminum radiators, vents, etc. came to be major
upgrades on the cars.
not to mention the low viscosity waterless coolant that boils at 375 degrees
at zero pressure!!
these cars are very under-developed, and as long as you accept that fact,
you will be happy.
Best,
Ray