[Tigers] Anaheim BMC dealer

To: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net
Subject: [Tigers] Anaheim BMC dealer
From: "rande" <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:49:24 -0400
Rod is right, it was British Motor Car Distributors, Ltd. The address I have
listed was 1601 Anaheim Blvd, Anaheim 92805.

I remember seeing a long showroom building easily visible from what's now Rt
110 / Interstate 5 on the north side of the freeway, very close to Disneyland
(that's why this Valley Boy was in the area) and I usually saw new Austin Healey
3000's displayed outside.

BMCD is still in business on Van Ness in San Francisco (www.bmcd.com). The main
man is Mr. Kjell Qvale, and he's credited with bringing over the MG TC, so you
know he's an interesting guy.

I used to pick up parts at the BMCD regional parts center on Susanna Rd,
Compton,
where I discovered he was the U.S. distributor in 1969 for the de Tomaso
Mangusta
289 and 302 models. This was prior to Lincoln-Mercury bringing the Pantera to
the States.

At the time, BMCD took care of Austin Healey and MG, and had some tie in with
Aston Martin. Jaguar was, I believe, in Hollywood, British Leyland (Rover and
Triumph)was in South Central LA.

Lotus had a dealer listed (in 1965) in Santa Ana. Bob Challman, in Manhattan
Beach, was listed as both the distributor (in 1965)under the name Ecurie Shirlee
Distribution, and as a showroom and service location, a block apart from each
other on Sepulveda Blvd.