Re: [Tigers] Spacing Hood louvers

To: Alvin Johnson <twojohnsons@cox.net>, Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Spacing Hood louvers
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 14:23:51 -0700 (PDT)
I have a hood in my "beam" storage building- I cant see it and it would be
dangerous to attempt tunneling to its location BUT if I didnt already own one
and wanted to work on cooling my Tiger(I think my Tiger runs cooler than
anyones and I am yet to figure out why) I would follow Steve's post and read
all the work previously performed by many hours of work by Tiger experts- not
in just cooling. I would take that money and put it towards one of the high end
fiber, fiber carbon etc LAT hoods that you have to add your name to the waiting
list to get.Then follow up by buying the kit of instructions on making your own
from (OK-his name escapes my memory BUT he is a popular member) that makes it
work as a true ram air scoop. AND first of all I would check to make sure my
engine is really overheating as gages can be unreliable due to the little
voltage box that keeps the fuel,and temp gage be misleading. A new transistor
replacement is available from Theo and
 ModTiger engineering. If you like the louvers look, which I do as well, then
add them and you are correct in asking where to place them. Perhaps a good hot
drive and a thermal temp probe would help by stopping and locating the hottest
area of the hood- retest several times until you are certain of the hottest
area and then decide if the louvers would look good in that area. Just some
cray thoughts but as a newer owner you dont want to rush into spending
money(unless you are loaded)that you would be better off investing in another
area or even the same are via a different approach. There are a few things that
havent been tried on a Tiger but most are not repeated because of embarrassment
that admitting would cause- otherwise, someone has tried most improvements and
made them available BUT keep reading as Dale A., Doug, J. Theo, ModTiger and
others are always thinking and creating.
TtT