Re: [Tigers] axle breather?

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] axle breather?
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:55:55 -0700
Owain,
  Even though you can't find your axle vent, water found mine.  I recall a
vague story from the previous owner where he sold the Tiger, then took it
back for failure of payment.  There was something said about the car being
thrashed and coming to a stop in a creek etc.  At the time I knew I was
buying a basket case and thought little of it.

 However, upon closer inspection I found the pinion flange to wobble quite a
bit.  When I pulled the rear cover off the gear oil was a creamy white which
of course indicated water.  Anyway, the bearings, gears and even the carrier
was shot.  One of the bearings had rotated on the carrier and the surface
was worn about .010 undersize.

While I have not heard any other complaints, the hole itself is poorly
sealed and is vulnerable to allowing water in.  Perhaps a 4X4 shop might
have a solution. Otherwise using a fine tap to allow a threaded nipple and a
hose will allow venting, but properly placed, water shouldn't easily get in.

Tom