Re: [Tigers] Fw: Re: motor mounts 2

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fw: Re: motor mounts 2
From: "Buck Trippel" <BuckTrippel@Verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:53:36 -0800
Rob and Tony,

You're both right about the quality of motor mounts today. As you probably
know most motor mounts sold here are made in Asia and the quality control
there seems to be non-existent. The Tiger uses the 1964 Mustang mounts.
(C3AZ-6038-G (RH), C3AZ-6038-H  (LH).  I've seen nearly 1/2" differences in
the thickness of the rubber in mounts you can buy today from companies like
Anchor. I've also seen terrible mistakes in the positioning of the
attachment bolt.

CAT recognized this problem several years ago and contacted Energy
Suspension about making a limited run of these early Mustang mounts for CAT.
Instead Energy Suspension decided to manufacture them as a standard catalog
item. However a new management team took over and scrapped the whole
project. The new team was also not interested in making a custom run for
CAT. (Instead they recommend people switch their Mustangs to a later mount
they already make. I've never been able to figure out how to make this later
mount work in a Tiger - I don't think it will.)

I did hear a rumor that some NOS pieces still exist but while they are the
same mount they have a different Ford part number since they were used on a
Ford pickup truck. The guy who gave me that tip sells Ford parts at local
swap meets and I'll ask him about it the next time I see him.

One of  our CAT members is trying to obtain Ford's drawing of the original
mounts. If he's lucky enough to come up with one, then we'll have a basis to
judge quality.

As far as breaking mounts, I always follow the old tech tip in the CAT Shop
Notes about modifying the mounts with through bolts. We broke a mount that
had this modification in the SCF race Tiger and never knew it. We spotted
delamination (between the bottom steel plate and the rubber bonded to it)
during routine post race inspection. We couldn't tell it was broken until we
removed it. This drilling and bolting will help make a failure a non-event
but it won't help with the lousy fit today's mounts provide.

Buck Trippel