Re: [Tigers] [Alpines] Drop Spindles

To: marcsmall@comcast.net, jan.eyerman@usa.net, alpines@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] [Alpines] Drop Spindles
From: mwood24020@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:00:48 EST
Raising the spindle height ("drop spindle") will effect the height of the
roll center and the roll couple. Particularly in a car like the
Tiger/Alpine,  with a poor camber curve, there are definite handling
benefits...much
better than dialing in a bunch of static camber and "freezing" travel with a
super stiff spring rate, which is the more common option.

In a message dated 12/18/2009 9:25:46 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
marcsmall@comcast.net writes:

At 11:01  AM 12/18/2009, Jan Eyerman wrote:
>Marc,
>
>The best way to  think about this, if you are not a "gearhead", is to just
>think of the  front wheels in relation to the body of the car.  A "drop
>spindle"  effectively lowers the body of the car in relation to the  front
>wheels.  A spindle is the short axle that the
front wheel  is connected to.  If
>the spindle or axle is closer to the top of  the car, the car will be lower
>ground.  A "drop spindle" is  a shortened form meaning a "spindle that
drops
>(lowers) the body of the  car in relation to the ground". In this kind of
>situation fractions of  an inch are a lot.  A "dropped spindle" that lowers
>car 3/4"  is a lot.  From a language point of view, the term  "dropped
spindle"
>is incorrect.  If the spindle is dropped  the
car would actually sit higher off
>the ground, however the term  is really a contraction.  In short, it  is
>jargon.

Thanks, Jan.  I still do not see the  benefit of
such, but, then, I never had any problem with Alpine  handling.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b`s fir gun  ghr`s fir!
You are subscribed as  mwood24020@aol.com