Re: [Tigers] Steering U-Joints

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Steering U-Joints
From: "steve wick" <srwick@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 21:10:31 -0800
I've seen this happen for two reasons. One, is that the bearings are shot and
the cap has been beat up to the point that it's "swaged" in. Clean the outside
surface of any grease/grime/etc., and press it back the other way. Keep doing
this until they loosen enough that one falls out. The other reason is if
someone collapsed the ears of the yoke when they put the u-joint in, either
using a hammer instead of a press or pressing on the ear instead of the
bearing cap with the press when they seated it. Measure the ears to see if
they are parallel. If not, you'll have to spread them until they are and that
will give you the clearance you need.

Steve