Re: [Tigers] Opinions Please: LAT-70 Repro Wheels Better

To: Bill Waite <fordlandia@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Opinions Please: LAT-70 Repro Wheels Better
From: garywinblad@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:43:34 +0000 (UTC)
The SS wheels are made from the ORIGINAL tooling, so they look the same.
They are made with a much better casting process and/or material so they
are not as porous so they hold air and they hold their shine.  In Bill's photos,
the ones on the right are not as shiny as SS wheels at their worst.  If you take
a few minutes with wheel polish they can look like mirrors.
Also, the machining of the inside (not visible when tires are mounted) is to
1990's DOT specs (not sure but IIRC there is slight raised bead that retains
a flat tire better) so they are safer from a tire retention viewpoint as well
as
the better casting/material.  I guess you know what kind of wheels I have on
my car!
Gary