Re: [Tigers] Opinions Please: LAT-70 Repro Wheels Better than

To: MAURO D'ANGELO <m_dangelo@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Opinions Please: LAT-70 Repro Wheels Better than
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 19:43:04 -0700
Some tire shops may refuse to mount tires on wheels that don't have a
safety bead.
The main thing about the reproduction LAT wheels is that they are
available (you can get a matching replacement should something bad
happen), they are made better than the original, you can get matching
spinners, and they probably won't cost you any more than finding a set
of "original" LAT wheels.

The visual difference between original and reproduction LAT wheels
mostly has to do with the diameter of the center hub extension and the
matching spinner. From 5 feet away even the experts will have a tough
time, and it is not an issue from a valuation or overall authenticity
standpoint.

I would sell you mine (not original) but firstly you wouldn't want to
pay the shipping from up here, and secondly I happen to have one of the
short production run where the mag-nut holes were machined oversize at
the time they were manufactured, and I haven't gotten around to making
some sleeve inserts to correct that problem. I don't know how many sets
of those are around but you don't want them, unless they've been fixed
properly.

Cheers,
Theo