[Tigers] cam exchange

To: tym2@comcast.net
Subject: [Tigers] cam exchange
From: Jeffrey Nichols <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:41:25 -0700 (PDT)
"I'm going to install a new cam in my Mk1A.
Can I remove the cam after removing the hood, radiator, water pump, timing
cover etc,?
Or, do I have to pull the engine? Please tell me I don't have to do this! "
You can do it according to the LAT 20 instructions that are in Gordon
Chittenden's book.B  Basically, the engine is stripped down to the bare block
with heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, water pump, timing chain cover,
timing chain, radiator and shroud, front grille removed.B  Now, you can remove
the cam via the grille opening. Reassembly is just the reverse.B  B What fun!
After all that work you are better off removing the engine.B  Then you can put
in a new clutch, pressure plate and fly wheel even if you think you don't need
it.B  And since the front x-member is out, you may as well rebuild that and
repaint.B  Now the engine compartment is empty, you may as well strip it and
repaint it.B  Maybe the radiator should be recored ....
you get the idea.B B B  What started out as a engine swap for my car is tuning
into a year long rebuild and repaint session.
B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B
 B B B B B  Jeff