Re: [Tigers] TAC'd off

To: Carlo Bernardino <crbernardino@mac.com>, "Tigers@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] TAC'd off
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:27:05 -0500
Hi Carlo,
I'm not a TAC inspector but here's my view:

A TAC certification implies that the bodyshell was originally assembled as a
Tiger chassis, at the Rootes and Jensen factories. Replacement of the chassis
sheetmetal with different sheetmetal can't change that fact, unless so much
sheetmetal is removed from the original chassis that it's hard to tell whether
the original chassis was an Alpine or a Tiger.

>From a structural integrity point of view, the quality or origin of
replacement panels is generally less important than how well they are
integrated into the chassis and body structure, so it would be hard to
classify a piece of sheetmetal by itself as having sufficient goodness to be
worthy of being put on a Tiger.

By definition, any piece of replacement sheetmetal, regardless of its source
(even if it came from another Tiger), is not "authentic" as defined by TAC.
This doesn't mean, however, that you shouldn't fix your Tiger's structural
issues if (when) it has them. Beyond establishing the chassis provenance, TAC
doesn't score or rate your Tiger.

Cheers,
Theo

<snip>

> If the TACers had all the time and resources in the world, an welcome
> service would be to TAC specific part replacements, with the
> understanding that OEM trumps all, but a stamp from the TAC would make
> the part acceptible and of specific high quality, etc. In turn they
> could charge a nominal fee to the manufacturer of said part...
>
> TACing is similar to board certification or licensure - it gives people
> reassurance of the quality of a product. In this case, the TAC ensures
> those who have legit Tigers are recognized versus those who do not.

<snip>

---
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

Thank you for your cooperation.