Re: [Tigers] Auto lift

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Auto lift
From: "John Dillman" <John.Dillman@PUBLICANS.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:26:04 -0500
Jim,

I looked and looked at lifts a couple of years ago .. . Bear in mind
that specs and prices will change over time.  I did have the benefit of
having used a friend's equipment a lot, so I knew his Challenger 2 post
and his Bend Pack 4 post pretty well.

I liked his Bend Pack for the construction, as it is sturdy.  That said,
he got the expensive one, and the cheaper ones I have seen look just
like many others.  I do not like it for the locks.  You have to have air
to release the locks, and his shop isn't plumbed for air.  Yet.

I wound up getting Direct Lift lifts (2 of them, actually).  The
construction is good, and they do what I need them to do.  They are
comparable in construction to the cheaper Bend Pack lifts, which I
understand are made here . . . from Chinese parts  . ..   I also got a
bridge jack, and don't use it enough to justify the money.  The casters
are nice, though, and I think they are separate with some lifts.  I got
mine from Greg Smith, and they have a good website and an ebay presence,
as well.  The ebay prices should give you a good idea as to their bottom
dollar when you call.  Where you buy may be influenced by shipping and
sales tax.  I paid a little more shipping (from GA, I think), but didn't
have to pay sales tax as if I had gotten them from a Dallas dealer.  I
had them shipped to a terminal, and got a roll back to pick them up and
drop them off (sounds easier than it was) at my warehouse. I also hear
good things about DanMar lifts, for another cheaper alternative.

Good luck, you'll LOVE whatever you get.  If you make it to Houston, you
are welcome to play with mine (just don't put the E-type antenna through
the ceiling . . . )

John Dillman