Re: [Tigers] Flywheel explosions (was Best Clutch Kit 289)

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Flywheel explosions (was Best Clutch Kit 289)
From: m_dangelo@verizon.net
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:53:12 -0500 (CDT)
Gary,

Thanks for putting it so eloquently.B  That is exactly what I was driving at
in a roundabout way.B  I really think there is a huge difference between a
race car, or a car used to race, and a car that's driven on a street, even in
a very spirited manner.B  My logic is simply that race engines generally get
consumed very quickly, while street engines can be reliable for many years.B
In the same way, components of engines, i.e. cast iron flywheels, pistons,
rings, rods bearings, etc., can usually remain reliable for a very long time
in a street car.B  Flywheels will normally be swapped out if grooved or
corroded, but not because they were reduced to shrapnel.B  Am I wrong here?B
Just imagine the danger to life and limb of owners of all classic cars powered
by small block Ford engines.B  I would think that if this were truly a
problem, I would be reading about it in newspapers and magazines (even Hagerty
would probably put out warnings).B  Right?B  Mauro