Re: [Tigers] Exploding Flywheels

To: tigers@autox.team.net, spmdr@juno.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Exploding Flywheels
From: David T Johnson <djoh797014@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:44:29 -0700 (PDT)
I've got my engine on the ground and this thread has been great.
Years ago I had my flywheel surfaced when I replaced the clutch.
Rick McLeod had a returned special built McCloed clutch that
he saold me very reasonably as it was used.  McClouid had
replaced every other spring with a softer spring.  The 1800lb
clutch became about 1400 lbs. It has lasted for 25+ years.
Easier on my left foot and clutch fork.

Question about exploding clutches.  I don't know how such a
flat speel steel plate explodes.  Was it really the flywheen bolts
breaking and the flywheel moving.  Or did the toothed ring come
loose from the flywheel??  When I resurfaced my flywheel the
machinist insisted I use new bolts specifcally made for the
application.  He said 'Never reuse flywheel bolts.  Maybe he
knew something and I should thank him

Dave