Re: [Tigers] Rear bearing replacement (not hub-pull content)

To: "wsamouce@kc.rr.com" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rear bearing replacement (not hub-pull content)
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:57:20 -0500
Hi Duke,
http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/wsm/wsmG4.asp
The manual says "use a press".
What you can also do, if you don't have a bearing press, is to CAREFULLY use
an angle grinder to grind about 90% through the bearing inner race. If you go
too far and nick the bearing shaft, then that creates a weak spot that may
eventually cause the axle to fail (i.e. break in two). When you've gone as far
as you dare, use a cold chisel and hammer to strike the groove you've created,
in a tangential direction. This will cause the bearing shell to split and then
you can easily drive it off.

Besides the angle grinder caution, you also have to be very careful with the
chisel, since that process may cause pieces of the bearing race to splinter
off in random directions and (from my experience) they can go right through a
smock and T-shirt, and embed themselves in your skin... face and body
protection is a must. I've done this on Toyota rear axles, not Sunbeam ones.

To press things back on you'll need appropriately sized drifts. If you have a
metal shop nearby, search them for some tubing that will engage the inner race
but clear the axle OD, and for some tubing that will engage the outer race.
The outer bearing should only be a light press fit in the axle tube, I think.

You should expect the axle endfloat to change with the new bearings, so you
may want to get some shim stock and cut that into the appropriate shape before
you start.

Cheers,
Theo

---
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

Thank you for your cooperation.