Re: [Tigers] Lat 9 center caps

To: 'DAVID GREEN' <alpdavegre@msn.com>, tigers@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Lat 9 center caps
From: David T Johnson <djoh797014@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:15:57 -0700 (PDT)
Ron is correct.  The LAT-9 had the Tiger cast into the wheel.
I can't imagine why.  Mounting and balancing must have been
a problem.  Mounting can be done at any tire store that has a
machine which does not require a center hole.  Balancing can't be
done.

I used an old Walter P Chrysler gearhead who runs an
alignment shop.  He used a Strobe light balancer to
balance them on the car.  That worked great while I was
living in Il.  Now I'm in Indy.

I found a 5th LAT-9 with the head cut off and I also had a
Tiger head relacement/repair from somewhere in time
In my car repair efforts, I dismounted the tires and had the
LAT 9s cleaned and polished.  I had the repair head welded
back in position and the wheel remachined so you can't tell
from the outside.  Now I have 5 LAT-9s in case I break one.

I called Hunter Inc and found they still make strobe light
balancers.  Their mfg rep said that are used to balance
large truck wheels that don't fit on machines.  He gave
me a number of a customer.  I called and yes he can
balance my LAT 9s.

My PC had a crash and I'm using my Office PC.  I can
only read and respond during lunch.

Dave