[Tigers] oil caps

To: collector2@webtv.net
Subject: [Tigers] oil caps
From: "rande" <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 08:46:35 -0400
I looked at the eBay item, with its related part number, and according to the
latest Sunbeam 260 supplement I have, it's consistant with the listed cap for
the Mark II, but...

According to the Book of Norman, the cap would be Satin Black for cars from
B947000001 until B382000600. It would still be black if just the LAT aluminum
rocker covers, and not the full LAT 2 engine dress up kit, were installed. And
even then, according to Norm's book, the chrome cap MAY NOT have been included
even in the dress up kit, as it was not vented, he writes.

Looking at a Rootes press photo for the LHD production Tiger, dated March 1964,
it shows a chrome oil filler cap with no vent tube.

Looking at a Chrysler UK press photo for the RHD Sunbeam 260, circa March 1965,
it shows a black oil filler cap with a vent tube bent to the left.

Looking at issue #44 of the Encyclopedia of SuperCars copyrighted in 1992
featuring
the Sunbeam Tiger, they've included a nice cutaway drawing of a Tiger showing
a chrome oil cap, but they've photographed two different RHD Tiger 1 engine
compartments, both having the early hot water valve, and both engines show the
black oil filler cap with a vent tube.

As for the parts catalogue, I have two versions -  one listing only the Mark
I as of January 1965, and the other listing Mark I and Mark II, and chrome is
specified in both for Mark I, and illustrations don't show a vent tube, while
in the catalogue listing Mark II, the eBay part number is listed for the Mark
II, the illustration shows a vent tube for the Mark II, and 'chrome' is not
spelled out for the Mark II.

If this is a concours issue, hopefully someone familiar with Tiger judging will
chime in with what's acceptable for stock class

If this is an emissions issue, probably the black vented cap will look better
to the inspector.

My 1A, #48, came with the original chrome rocker covers but no oil cap, so I'm
no use there.I'm using the black cap. I don't have any of the original Rootes
service bulletins, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an update issued
for US and/or California registered cars that Rootes never put into print.
Anybody
with original Ford parts microfiche want to check whether 1964-65 Mustang /
Falcon oil caps superceeded?