Re: [Tigers] 7/16" to 1/2" wheel studs

To: "'Smit, Theo'" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 7/16" to 1/2" wheel studs
From: "Ramon Spontelli" <rspontelli@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 20:55:51 -0700
<< . . . does anyone have a knurl diameter that's close to the stock size or
is drilling the only way to go?>>

Theo,

I fretted about the knurl diameter when I did mine because I could not find
an exact match.  I bought the closest oversize studs--Moroso--and took the
whole shebang to the machinist who'd been doing my engine work for years and
years.  I thought he'd have to rework the hubs a bit.  Funny guy. Here's how
he explained it to me:

"This is a turd," he said as he held up one of the new, stronger, Moroso
studs.

"This is your asshole," he said as he held up one of my hubs, pointing to an
empty stud hole.

"Get it?"

He just pressed those slightly oversized studs into the hubs.

Like I said, I never had a problem with 'em, and I've subsequently done the
same with the Mark I street car and the Series II Alpine.

Ramon

P.S.  When I did the Alpine, I found out that those really-long studs fit
under the hubcaps on the stock wheels.  Who'd-a-thunk that?