[Tigers] Non-Tiger / Stuck gas pedal can kill ya

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Non-Tiger / Stuck gas pedal can kill ya
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 19:34:38 EDT
My son has a 2001 Chevy small pick up. He called and  said while he was
driving the gas pedal stuck down.  He crammed on the  brakes and was able to
stop the truck with the motor racing.  He decided to  drive home and after
cresting a hill he let up on the gas and the engine went  back to idle as
normal.
I told him to drive to my house and be really careful  and be ready to shut
of the ignition if it stuck again. He arrived and it was  acting normal.
Since we're in Vermont I suspected that slush and salt had  gotten into the
gas pedal where it's hinged.
I crawled under the dash and it was clean and  operating smoothly. i told
him to look under the hood and find the end of the  cable and watch it while
I work the pedal.
I pumped it and he yelled for me to see what he was  seeing. Where the
cable connected to the throttle body was a brown chunk of  something. It
apparently had jammed the throttle and then dropped down and out  of the way.
told him that someone had played a joke on him and stuck a  piece of dog poop
in there to make it smell when it heated up.
He pulled it out and smelled it. He said  this smells like chocolate.  His
girl friend who was there said  that it was  a chocolate brownie.
He said he couldn't figure out our it could have  gotten in there.  The
hood release is in the cab and he always keeps the  door locked. I told him
that someone had been in there. He said the only time  the hood had been open
was  few days before when he had the oil  changed.
The nearest we can figure is that the mechanic had  been munching, set it
down on the engine and forgotten it. Eventually the  vibration caused it to
fall down and jam the throttle.
Now that is one weird situation and one that could  have been pretty
serious.
Mark L