Re: [Tigers] fuel gauge

To: "'Thomas Witt'" <atwittsend@verizon.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] fuel gauge
From: "Mike Michels" <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 21:51:58 -0700
Thanks to all for helpful info. It turns out that the rheostat wires had
unraveled and were moving back and forth as the contact wiper travelled
across them. This resulted in dead spots and no wires at all at the "empty"
end of the travel. The sender is the type with a plastic float (which was in
fine shape) that clips into the wire arm. No evidence who made it.

I was able to get a Smiths sending unit, the type with a much larger metal
float and counterweight. The rheostat and general construction of this type
is much more robust, and it works accurately.