[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [Tigers] VIN yard

To: Jeffrey Nichols <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] VIN yard
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:56:32 -0700
Jeff (and Michael)

As I pointed out, in a previous post, Removing and Replacing a VIN, in 
California, is legal - with certain prerequisites.

    * The car must already be registered in the state
    * Highway Patrol permission must be given before the work is done.
    * The VIN is the original VIN for that vehicle.
    * A licensed and authorized Body Shop must make the application.

How do I know this to be true?  I've done it a couple of times to get 
good under-hood paint repairs/refurbishment that required it, over many 

Some other States do not regulate this, and some disallow it completely.

Check out your local laws.

Oh, yes.  If you are doing this to a Tiger, the rivets holding the VIN 
plate to the dash are very unique, and noticeable to a observant owner.


Steve Laifman



Jeffrey Nichols wrote:
> "Now if one can assertain the original ID of the "john doe" car then you
> could either list with the regisrty that the numbers had been changed and 1
> VIN could be listed as no longer valid. Seems like a good outcome, Car gets
> an ID but its not correct."
> There doesn't seem to be VIN number stamping on the car frame or body parts to
> match the Rootes VIN from what I've seen, if that is what you are asking
> about.  Some cars have VIN stampings on various body parts or chassis and you
> can tie the VIN with the car itself. In theory, you can trade VIN plates all
> you want until the DMV comes knocking.   Although you may have a problem
> swapping a VIN plate from a MK1 to a MK1a or MK2 and  vice versa.
>                                         Jeff
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>