Re: [Tigers] VIN yard

To: Jeffrey Nichols <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] VIN yard
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:56:32 -0700
Jeff (and Michael)

As I pointed out, in a previous post, Removing and Replacing a VIN, in
California, is legal - with certain prerequisites.

    * The car must already be registered in the state
    * Highway Patrol permission must be given before the work is done.
    * The VIN is the original VIN for that vehicle.
    * A licensed and authorized Body Shop must make the application.

How do I know this to be true?  I've done it a couple of times to get
good under-hood paint repairs/refurbishment that required it, over many
years.

Some other States do not regulate this, and some disallow it completely.

Check out your local laws.

Oh, yes.  If you are doing this to a Tiger, the rivets holding the VIN
plate to the dash are very unique, and noticeable to a observant owner.

Steve

Steve Laifman

Editor

http://TigersUnited.com