Re: [Tigers] Weed out ALGERS?

To: mike schreiner <mikeflbmer@yahoo.com>, <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Weed out ALGERS?
From: "Would U. Believe" <mcdangerous@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 06:51:59 -0400
Mike,

I think he was just making a harmless parallel with the Cobra in that it's
possible mistake a copy for the real thing.  In the case of the Tiger, it's
possible for inexperienced and naove buyers to pay Tiger money for modified
Alpines, which can make the prospect of buying a Tiger seem risky, which can
then increase the fear factor, which can potentially harm the value of the
real thing.  I believe risk is always offset by paying more for a service
(like insurance), or less for a product.

I think the solution (if one were really needed) is the TAC program.  If one
has a genuine Tiger, s/he should get the car authenticated and documented.
There were not that many Tigers made, and even fewer have survived, so it
seems feasible to me that most if not all Tigers could be documented. This
would make it less likely for an unscrupulous seller to take advantage of a
naove buyer by claiming an Alger is a genuine Tiger and having the buyer
believe him.  The TAC registry, if it were more widely known to the
"masses", would remove most of the need for detailed buyer knowledge, which
would remove much of the risk and fear factor.

This is nothing new, though.  I have a spare Porsche 911 engine that I'm
considering dropping into a Porsche 914 chassis, for example.  This car, no
matter what, will never be a rare and expensive 914/6. It will always be a
dime-a-dozen 914.  Unless...  If I sell it for plain-Jane upgraded 914 money
to someone down the road who then flips it, claiming it to be a true
914/6...  The bottom line is that I think the key to protecting values of
genuine articles is always proper documentation.  Porsche offers
authentication documentation for owners, not too different than Norm's
Tiger registry.