Re: [Tigers] TOW DOLLY

To: "mike schreiner" <mikeflbmer@yahoo.com>, <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] TOW DOLLY
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 11:06:12 -0300
Not to contradict Mike's experience, but to lend a little perspective:

I towed a friend's newly acquired MGC from Marblehead, Ma. to Halifax, Nova
Scotia (850 miles) about 9 years back on a dolly, behind my GMC Safari van.

It was a terrible experience.

We drove down to Marblehead with the empty dolly loaded with 40 lb sandbags
to give it some stability. On the I-95 anything over 60 mph would set the
dolly into an increasing oscillation that threatened to flick us into the
ditch. The only solution was to keep it around 55 mph, and when the swings
started, slow down very gently.

 We did disconnect the driveshaft and plugged the hole in the tranny. With
the car aboard, the dolly was more stable, but still resisted steady-state
cruising over 60 mph. When least expected, it would start the oscillation
dance.

I wish we had had Mike's excellent adventure with the dolly, but alas, we
won't be doing that again any time soon.

BTW, it was a Budget Car and Truck Rentals dolly.

Dave