Re: [Tigers] (no subject)

To: rande@thecia.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] (no subject)
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:15:25 -0400
I've owned my Tiger for almost thirty-five years, and before about 2000 I
had no idea what I had, much less what an Alger was. The internet has
changed everything; information once mostly hidden is now easy to find.

Alpines are common compared to Tigers, and they are valued accordingly. I
don't agree that it would be nice if all cars were restored to their
original glory. Frankly,  it isn't going to happen. Ever. Americans build
hot rods. We always have, and the automotive industry is better for it.

Some Rootes owners choose to re-engine their cars. Drmayf is a great example
here; he campaigns an Alpine at Bonneville, and it surely doesn't have a 4
cylinder engine in it. Good for him, and good for the marque.

So if someone wants to make a Hot Rod out of an Alpine, in my opinion, have
at it. It's a fun car to drive, and a chalenge to work on. Algers are fairly
valued - typically about half the price of a "real" Tiger; the difference
isn't the workmanship, by the way, it's who did it - the factory or an
individual builder. Nothing more.

Let the purists fret over every but, bolt, and washer. Good for them, too.
For me, I'm looking forward to just being able to drive the Kitty again.
When it's sold all the original parts'll go with it... in boxes.

Tom