Re: [Tigers] Spirit of Sunbeam Salt Flats Plans

To: drmayf@mayfco.com, alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Spirit of Sunbeam Salt Flats Plans
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 12:14:32 EDT
Curious Mayf,
What have you calculated the h.p needs to be to get  you to 200mph?

In a message dated 8/5/2010 12:09:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
drmayf@mayfco.com writes:

Well,  time for me to inform all those who follow the Spirit of Sunbeam
in it's  quest to be the worlds fastest Sunbeam.  The current top speed
for a  flying mile is now at 186.192 mph.  Changes have been made to the
car  for this years activies. Oh first, we will not be at Speed Week in
August.  That event has become a happening and costs have skyrocketed
beyond our  means.  Last year, we paid 1300 bucks for one hotel room for
6  nights. Instead we are going to World of Speed in September: same
hotel  but costs for the entire stay is 249 dollars.  Mods to the car
have  been few. I mentioned that I built a simulator so that the
electronic  engine management systems could be run in situ without
running the engine.  That showed that the missing rpm was not an
electronic issue.  The  car now has a new ice water to air intercooler
for the charge air coming  from the turbo. The water tank for that holds
about 13 or 14 gallons of a  mix of ice and water.  Last year at WOS, the
fuel tank developed a  serious leak. The tank was in front of the engine
and close enough to  exhaust parts to cause worry. That tank was replaced
by one that now  resides in the trunk. I hand built the fuel cell to fit
there. It also  holds about a gallon more fuel.  The area where the front
mounted  tank was located is now where the intercooler hangs out.  I also
changed from a draw through mass air flow meter to a blow through. The
blow through is roughly twice the flow capacity and it is the same
diameter as teh new turbo to intercooler to motor duct work.  The
installation is much cleaner than before.  After the electronics
simulations told me that the electronics were not at fault for lack of
rpm, I looked at the data a lot and concluded that the two chinese made
waste gates were not working correctly. I borrowed a Turbonetics
RaceGate and installed it in place of the two foreign made ones.
Control plumbing is way simplified as well by that move.  I also  slowed
down the steering by a factor of 1.5. A short wheel base is subect  to
twitchy hands on the steering wheel, lol.  I also had a dyno day  that
was nearly disastrous.  I had purchased a couple of used police  cruiser
V rated tires, supposedly good to 149 mph. Inspection showed them  to be
good. But, on teh first hard pull on the dyno, I literally destroyed  one
of them! At 164 mph. Enough data was gained though to show that the  new
mass air flow meter was pretty close.  For those who may venture  to
Wendover, UT in Septmeber, the meet starts on the 14th and runs through
the 18th. We will arrive there on the 13th just to park the trailer and
get the car out. For any that do come to watch, you are all welcome in
out pit, we'll have cold drinks during the day and after days work is
done a beer or two.

Oh, the car now has two firsts! It has become  the world fastest Tweecer
( an engine tuning piece) as well as having the  fastest Performance
Automatic AOD transmission.  Those two with a  buck fifty might get me a
cup of coffee, lol...

Any questions, just  send me an email and I will do my best to answer them.

mayf
Spirit  of Sunbeam
World's Fastest Sunbeam (wannabe)
Not an Alpine, Not a Tiger,  just a  Sunbeam