Re: [Tigers] First crisis

To: jliny5@cox.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] First crisis
From: BOBCARNUT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:07:34 EDT
I had problems with the starter on one of the Fords I had years ago....Same
era car, same problem. The problem was easy to correct once the starter was
removed from the car. Under the cover on the side of the starter is a lever
type mechanism that serves to engage the pinion of the starter with the
flywheel. The "lever" is magnetically pulled into the side of the starter when
you energize the starter. The problem was the aluminum "pocket" the lever
moves in. It becomes dirty and kind of sticky with a kind of aluminum "paste",
keeping the lever from moving as far as it should, and thusly, not engaging
the flywheel fully. The repair is to slide the pin out that the lever
pivots on, and clean the surface of the aluminum and the steel lever, than
re-assemble.
I would try this repair before buying a new starter. It may do the job.

    Bob Lerch, former Tiger owner  B3820001828LRXFE (I think)