Re: [Tigers] Selling a Tiger on Ebay

To: fastsage@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Selling a Tiger on Ebay
From: mcdangerous@verizon.net
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:28:59 -0500 (CDT)
Hi.  I've sold a few cars on eBay.  Please take what I say only as simple
advice not as a guarantee.  I would suggest you be excessively cautious with
payments and use a high degree of common sense and cynicism.  First, only
accept wire transfer or certified checks.  Cashier's checks only mean that the
funds were available at the time the check was written, and don't prevent the
buyer from emptying the account after that.  Second, counterfeit certified
checks and cashier's checks are out there and are so good that the bank won't
even catch them until they go through the processing centers and come up as
bogus.  By then, about a week later, the car can be in the hands of the
dishonest buyer (gone for you) and the bank will actually come after you for
the money.  This means you will be out of both the car and the money.  When I
sell a car, I always go to the issuing bank with the buyer to get cash.  I ask
the teller to verify the veracity of the check first.  When I have the cash in
my pocket at the bank, I hand over the title and keys.  It's a mean old world
out there.  Just use common sense and be very careful.  I had a guy from
California buy an 2002 BMW M Coupe from me a while back.  He sent his nephew
out with a check.  Together, we went to the bank and after everything checked
out and I had the money in my hands, I drove the car to the shipping station
with him behind me.  When we got there, I removed my license plates and wished
him adieu.  (My wife drove me home from there).

I may be interested in considering your car, depending on a few things.  Would
you please send me information and pictures?  Thanks.  M