[Tigers] Tiger Gearboxes

To: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Gearboxes
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:17:24 -0700
Tom,

Just a side note.  The TREMEC 5 speed. is *not* a good replacement for
the original Mk I, much less the MkII four speed.

It certainly has another intermediate gear, however it is not a study as
the original.   The T-5, aside from installation issues, does not have
the torque handling capabilities of the original(s).  If it is geared
with the T-5 standard gearing, (fifth gear overdrive)

I liked my Porsche 5 spd, and the "concept" of the TREMEC, but am
unwilling to reduce to the T-5 torque limits.

The MkII gearbox is stronger, and has better gear-spacing - regardless
of the Mk I designation "close ratio".

There are a number of articles about the Tremec on TigersUnited.com.
Here is a good comparison, by /*Curtis Fisher*/:

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/CFisherTREMEC/pt-CFisherTREMEC5.asp

and /*Bob Hokanson*/ has provided and EXCEL - ant article to compare
gearboxes:

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/HokansonGearSpeedXL/pt-HokansonGearSpeedXL.asp

I believe that Mike Hokanson <hokey@oasisol.com> is Bob Hokanson's son.

(Shouldn't that be Bob Hokansonson ?