[Tigers] Reminiscences about Cars - Part I

To: Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Reminiscences about Cars - Part I
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:18:59 -0700
I sent a few reminiscences about the Cars of my youth.

Apparently it was too long, and never got posted.  No messages from our
List, either.

So, what to do?  Well, send it in bite-sized pieces!

First Installment:

I thought I would share some "my car stories" about cars I've known or
owned

If your first car was a New 1951 MG-TD, there is a lot of time between
then and now.

Kinda thought I should share those Reminisces of early days before I
forgot them.

Steve
--

Steve Laifman

Editor

http://TigersUnited.com

First half of message:

Reply on "great cars".  I've either owned or driven them when they
were at their prime.

1)    The TC:  It looks just fabulous, and its steering is only 1 > turns
lock to lock.  Very light, but then they have perfectly sized the
engine and brakes so that there is not only no advantage, but a
penalty.  Its quick steering is only surpassed by its lack of
precision.  There was over a 1/8 turn of free play in the wheel.  You
didn't steer it as much as coax it from changing lanes by sawing at
the 19 inch diameter wheel.  You better start stopping way before
there is any actual reason, or it's too late.  The cornering is nearly
perfect, if you have PLENTY of room and don't mind needing it.  It
would shake, judder, and hop through any turn with the best of them.
Now this was when they were NEW.  But it sure is PRETTY.  Good
shifter.

2)    The TR-2 and 3, the cheap man's Jaguar.  Poorly made, the bolt-on
wheels would break off in a turn, so they couldn't race them without
safety plates.  The TR4, bigger, in a British box.  All TRs could go
better than any similar year MG, and sounded better too.  But you have
never seen the earlier TR 1800.  A miniature Bentley drophead with 18
inch Lucas flame thrower headlamps and a rumble seat.  Precedes the
TR2. More like a TC, but bigger and more refined.

3)    The Austin-Healy.  Clearly one of the best looking of all the
British cars.  Light in handling and appearance, but short on gears
with the first 100's with 3 speeds.  First was locked out because it
was a stump puller.  Donald made the car with the stock Austin bins.
Later models got better (brakes, windows, power) and worse (back
seats, heavier, fatter, and less appealing).  Their finest hour was
the 100S Le Mans with the all Aluminum body, disk brakes, handling
suspension, hot 4 banger.

Friend had the new 100S, and as I said, I'Ive driven them all.  Other
friends included Bruce Kessler. Bruce was the son of the Rose Marie Reed
Swim suit family. He led the production of one those famous swim suits
as an apprentice.  His first (and last)  assignment after his first
production cut left out the crotch. He raced his mother's black and mint
Jag. Lance Reventlow (born Lawrence Graf von
Haugwitz-Hardenberg-Reventlow (mother - Barbara Hutton, father -
European Royalty), was newly racing, and part of our Rat Pack. Later he
went on to develop the Scarab.

4)    MG TD.  You didn't't get into it.  You strapped it on.  Clearly the
car that you thought around corners, rather than drove.  My TD was
much like that, I would just sort of lean my body in the direction of
the turn and it would go right around.  Quite a good auto cross car,
even if I did cheat because I was a better driver.  No top end, no
acceleration, much better comfort than a TC, but it looked like a
midge model A Ford and EVERYONE said so.  Our "rallying cry" , as a
box-stock Chevy six station wagon would out accelerate us at the stop
light Grand Prix as "Just wait till I get you in the corners!"  For
the most part, the "competition didn't't even know the were racing!

<-- To Be Continued -->

--

Steve Laifman

Editor