Re: [Tigers] 215 V8 and AMC

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 215 V8 and AMC
From: "rande" <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 08:50:55 -0400
There is something about the CJ-5 and a Buick motor that I remember reading
about, but can't verify.

As for the AMC connection, I think the motors that AMC used (the 290 and 343
in the years 1966 and 1967) were of their own design.
1966 was the first year you could get a Rambler American, their compact, with
a V8. I had summer job in 1966 at the AMC dealer in San Fernando(San Fernando
Road). I applied to wash cars, they asked if I would like to SELL cars (can
you spell Demo), and what do you think I said.

A V8 compact American was such a big deal to this dealer that they campaigned
a Rogue hardtop with a 290 V8 four speed at San Fernando drags( long gone),
and driven by one of the dealership technicians. So, I remember the AMC V8's.

And demos? Would you believe they entrusted an 18 year old kid with among other
things, a '65 Mustang 2+2 289 four speed, a '58 Continental, a '64 Thunderbird
convertible( black with black vinyl interior, black top, no A/C, in August.
There's a reason why L.A. people buy white cars and tint the windows).

RB