[Tigers] The rest of the story

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] The rest of the story
From: "Jeffrey Nichols" <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 09:18:36 -0400
My emails were not getting through and I was trying to find out why.

Mike,  I think we have to agree to disagree on this one.  You say tomato, I
say tomahto.  I say innovate, you say knockoff.    I hope you realize that
the Mustang II suspension has been tried by better men than you or I and has
failed.  If you don't believe me then do an email search on Norm's web site.

Your statement that no one has tried to design an innovative front
crossmember and suspension in the last 40+ years because of a price point
analysis strikes me as ludicrous.  So all these 40+ years people were doing
a cost study on R&D and a price point analysis for a new and creative
x-member/ suspension and came to the conclusion; it can't be done because it
is too expensive?   In your mind, you don't think Joe Blow  could  design a
new x-member and suspension and build one for his own use.  And then later,
build more if Tiger owners showed interest?  Or are we all MBAs' and just
like to do financial analysis in our spare time?

  Also, who is this mysterious person that placed the idea of a new x-member
on the shelf for the past 40 years?   He should be bitched slapped for
holding out on us.

Jeff

"Jeff, I wasn't suggesting that "it is just a reworking of what Rootes had
already designed". What I am saying is that there was really no "innovation"
in taking generally accepted suspension design parameters and construction
technique and applying it to the Tiger. Lots of hard work, diligent design
application and cad/cam analysis, perhaps, but absolutely no new ground has
been broken. You can see the same basic design characteristics in the
aftermarket for any number of applications, besides the very obvious
parallel in the Mustang world I already pointed out. It was just a matter of
demand forming to a level where it would be (potentially) economically
viable to create what is a relatively expensive solution for the Tiger. The
only reason it wasn't done earlier is because there was no market for a
$4-5,000 front end for a $15-20,000 car...now that the prices demanded for
good Tigers has appreciated, as well as the quality of builds and people's
seeming willingness to put more serious money into their personalized cars,
it appears that market does exist. That's why the idea sat on the shelf for
years, not because nobody knew how to create the solution."

MWood24020@aol.com