[Tigers] Worlds Fastest Sunbeam - The Rest of the Story, Day 3,

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Worlds Fastest Sunbeam - The Rest of the Story, Day 3,
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 09:13:13 -0700
  Thursday Part B

Ok, now in the right gear and headed down course. Kinda of feathering it
for some idiotic reason, maybe the twitchy course from yesterday was
stuck in my head... but by the 2 and a quarter mile trap I was only
going 166 (I think that's what it was, I'll have to go out and get the
timing slip and look). But, I continued to mash the pedal more. There
was the previous 5500 rpm position, then 5600, then I mashed a LOT more
and  by the start of the  4th mile I was truly hauling ass.  Maybe 5800
going into the last timed mile. Now the car is drifting around, not
crazily, but wandering, which is expected somewhat. But, the back end
was breaking traction and the rear was moving a foot or so either way in
addition to the drifting.  Now, folks, lemme tell you, that in this
condition, of drift and see saw and me being a noob at this speed I was
scared pretty much spit less!  I drove the last mile with one hand only
on the steering wheel, just moving the car as needed to keep it between
the course markers and the other hand on the chute release.  I really do
not like "spins". So I was gonna be ready if it decided to cut loose. I
kept the tach above 6000 for the end of the run and when the 5 mile
marker went by,  I pulled the chute.  Now one time before at 175 or so I
did that and the car went side ways, so this time I was braced to go
side ways. Yikes! The chute hit and the car stopped squirming around and
went absolutely dead straight. I could have removed my hands from the
steering wheel. it was so good. Wow, what a relief.  As I drove that
last mile, I tried to look at gauges but the one that I really watched
was the oil pressure gauge. Heck it was 70 psig!  As I slowed down and
turned off course it dawned on me that it took nearly a full mile to get
the car stopped.  When I got it stopped and pointed in the go home
direction, I pulled off gloves, released the harness, pulled the helmet
and stood up. Got out and pulled the booties and jacket off and
pants...it is hot with all that stuff on. Then Tom Shannon arrived with
the water bottle and a quick look at the car. Was a wisp of smoke
drifting out of the back of the hood opening. So he undid the dzus
fasteners and looked Asked me if anything was wrong and I told him that
dang it had never been ran that hard before. I expected a little smoke.
Later back in the pit, Dale found the connectors to the HEGO welded
together, lol... That was the source of the smoke wisp.  Seemed like a
long wait for the push truck, but they are limited to about 50 mph and
they had a long way to come, lol....  When they arrived, I removed the
chute and off we went...at 20 mph.... Got to the timing shack and got my
timing slip. Can you say YEEHAAA! 204.912 average for the last mile and
a 210.7.xx exit speed! The car was still accelerating going out the back
door!

Back at the pit, I am anxious to see how the engine data looked. But,
the data logging had failed me once again.  I am not sure how it failed
but I got the dataq 4 channels and the Innovate wide band which are
recorded outside of the engine payload. But when something fails to
respond to polling it usually stops data logging on everything.  It did
not do this this time. I did show that the AFR was great, and that boost
reached 11.8 or so, was set to approximately 10 as close as on can turn
a knob, so that was fantastic!   Do I see 15 psig in the future?
maybe.....

We settled down for a quiet period then put the cover on the car and
took the awning down and went to the hotel to get ready for supper at
the Rainbow Steakhouse. My opinion is that this is by far the best
restaurant in town. Spendy but really good.

Friday and Sat next!

mayf