Re: [Tigers] Tiger cooling

To: denis mercier <denismercier@telvic.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger cooling
From: Randy Smith <RSSmithIQ@cs.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 08:56:06 -0400
Hi Dennis-

Most of this is from a post I did a year or so ago.  I based my decisions on
the information in Tiger Tom's article on the TE/AE website.  I ended up NOT
closing the bottom half of the fan shroud because it seemed way too tedious,
and it has not been a problem for me.

I have used the 15" Derale flex-fan available from Summit Racing with a
part number DER-17015!  This fan is an easy fit and is extremely
efficient at both low and high speeds.  The only issue could be
clearance with the steering rack.  I had to put one flatwasher under
each of my motor mounts (the mounts were new at the time) to get
clearance.  Tiger Tom warns against cutting the diameter of the fan down
as most of the efficiency is at the outer diameter.  Shimming the motor
mounts is really quite easy, but don't overdue it or the air cleaner
will hit the hood.  I also used one of the Ford Fairmont water pump
pulleys to increase the speed of the pump and fan.  Somebody is selling
a nice machined version of that pulley in the TE/AE newsletter.  While
you are working on all that stuff, you might want to do something with
your radiator if you haven't already.  I had my original radiator
recored with a modern core.  Also make certain to block your horn
holes.  With that combination of upgrades, I can idle or run at highway
speeds all day long in the humid 100 degree Mid-Atlantic summer heat
with the engine running right at the thermostat setting.

-Randy

--

Randy Smith
INNER QUEST, Inc.