Re: [Tigers] Guldstrand Tiger B9470570 LRXFE

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Guldstrand Tiger B9470570 LRXFE
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:40:59 EDT
That was a wonderful story and what a surprise to see a photo of myself!
Here's a little more to the story:

After Rik Edwards bought the Gulstrand Tiger, many members from Pacific
Tiger Club including myself joined forces and became his pit-crew for his debut
in road racing at Seattle International Raceway, Kent, WA.

The night before his Saturday morning Driver's School, several of us went
with Rik to the classroom portion of the school, held at a Motel in Renton,
WA.  We all learned about what the different color flags were all about, what
the turnworkers actually do and the like.  The Club was IRDC, International
Race Drivers Club and the square orange stickers on the headlights
indicates the driver is an unlicensed novice.  That is done for safety of the
other
drivers and so Senior-licensed driver-observers (I have been one) located
around the track can identify which cars to scrutinize.

The next morning we were at the track in our matching orange Club jackets
and our crew double-checked everything while Rik was at the mandatory
driver's meeting.  The first time out, no passing was allowed other than on the
main straight.  The car ran perfectly and shot down the 1/2 mile long straight
like a scalded dog but Rik said the car was almost uncontrollable in the
turns.  That was caused by the ancient dried-out slicks.  We tried to soften
them using a product called Formula V but it didn't help.

After every run on the track, the crew went to work refueling the Tiger and
checking tire air pressure: my job was to repack the front wheel bearings.
I did that twice but we decided it wasn't necessary after all.

Rik was granted his novice racing license and that afternoon he competed in
his first (and I think only) race.  The grid was based on the cars single
fastest lap during qualifying, fortunately not on how many times Rik spun the
Tiger in the turns!  He gridded next to a very famous ex Can-Am car, the
Burnette Mk-2.  I still have 6 photos I shot at that event.

Jim Leach    Pacific Tiger Club   Seattle