Re: [Tigers] 6k Face on Tach

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Allan Ballard <allanballard@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 6k Face on Tach
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 23:06:45 -0500
Allan:

There was discussion a while back of using a Cobra tach movement mated
to the face of a Sunbeam unit to replace the stock tach.  The face was
redone by Paul Breuhan and reads to 8K with the redline at 6000.  I
don't remember who did the conversion, but they will probably chime in.
I know that Jim Armstrong was interested and pursued it a bit further,
so he can probably give you more info.  I have a pic of the tach face
which I am sending and can forward to others interested.

The approach I have used is, as you have suggested, to use an Alpine
tach converted for use on my Tiger.  I got a used Alpine tach from a
Series IV whose face matches the lettering on the MkI/IA Tiger.  I sent
the tach to Tom Hall at Tiger Engineering
http://www.tigerengineering.net/.  He will convert your tach to
electronic innards and calibrate it for use on your car. The cost of the
conversion is $175. The advantage is that the Alpine tach has its
redline at about 5600 rpm and reads to 6000 which is about right for my
engine (a 260 with the hipo cam).  It also will be accurate for a long
time (probably longer than I will be around), unlike the original.  The
downside is that the face says 4 cyl, positive earth but in small
letters which I do not find noticeable when watching my tach as it
approaches its redline ;>)  You can probably get some rub-on letters if
you want to change it.

Cheers,

Tod
B382002384LRXFE