Re: [Tigers] Mercum Tiger - $80k Question?

To: daniel.doornbos@intel.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Mercum Tiger - $80k Question?
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 18:59:02 -0500 (EST)
Dan,
Good points.
Mark L

In a message dated 2/5/2011 6:52:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
daniel.doornbos@intel.com writes:

It's  easy to speculate by e-mail, but what would you say to this buyer if
you
met them face to face?  I bet the majority would say  congratulations!

What if the buyer was on our list lurking?  This  is highly probable.  What
if
they watched and learned and decided this  was the car they wanted?  What if
before they got a chance to send an  announcement e-mail to our list
everyone
here jumped all over it and now  they hold back from really joining the
group?
It's sad because we had the  exact same round of e-mails the last time a
tiger
was sold for a really  high price last year.  The fair market value is the
agreed to price of  the buyer and the seller.  Given the circumstances maybe
these people  do or don't have a lot of money but they wanted a Tiger so
what
does they  were willing to pay matter to us?  Maybe they could have gotten
better value?  Maybe it was an impulse buy?  For all of us that  bought for
less I say congratulations for being a smart  consumer.

I'm not sure why we have to try to make someone feel small  for paying a
high
price for a car that they wanted.  Including the  SELLER, who was here on
the
list.  He basically admitted he spent  about $80k on this tiger.  Was it a
bad
decision on his part to buy  this car and spend that kind of money on a
restoration?  He was able  to save it and keep it on the road, so
congratulations to him.  Also  good job to those of us who do the work
ourselves and don't have the same  capital outlay.

I think in the future we should acknowledge the price  and note as they
said in
the Barrett Jackson Auction, "Smartly Bought" or  maybe the flip side of the
coin is "Smartly Sold."  If I was to sell  my car I would get it built and
finished and the sell it at an auction over  e-bay that is for  sure!

dan