Re: [Tigers] CAT headers part 2

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] CAT headers part 2
From: Gabbard Gabbard <gabbardalex@att.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 07:44:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all,
CAT headers Part 1 was the dyno tests described several months ago
(30+ hp gain
over cast iron exhaust manifolds).

Part 2: The original 289
for my Mk II (#328) from Part 1, with stock flywheel,
Centerforce clutch and
pressure plate, mounted with the original Mk
II toploader (rebuilt using a
wide bolt pattern main case -RUG A tag - because I
could not find a narrow
bolt pattern 6-bolt bellhousing) went into the car
yesterday. Three guys
installed the engine-trans assembly from underneath in
about 2 hours, being
slow and careful not to scratch the new white paint. The
headers cleared
everything but a tight fit, particularly the rear-most Alpine
steering gear
bolt bracket on both frame rails, which I plan to remove to
prevent engine
torque-over contact. The Jet-Hot coated headers were installed
with copper
gaskets and Ford Motorsport locking header bolts and required no
adjustments
or pipe indentions.

The driver side header was installed and bolted tight
while the rider side was
not fitted. Once the engine was in the engine bay,
the engine was raised
slightly to allow room to slide the rider side header
in, then bolted in
place. With headers installed, the engine was lowered a
few inches into place,
mounts attached and bolted securely, although the 3
frame bolts through the
inner fenders to the engine bracket had to be
loosened to install the rebuilt
front cross member assembly. The trans
support and mount were also installed
securely. A new, heftier drive shaft is
ready for installation.

A port-a-power was used to spread the frame rails
about "half a hole" to permit
installation of new bolts that were installed
and torqued.

This is the "Tiger found in a barn" you may have heard about.
It sat in pieces
for over 30 years amid mice, straw, and spiders collecting
dust while various
pieces got lost (including the original bellhousing). I
bought this Mk II in
the mid-'70s showing about 17,000 miles on its odo, nice
sheet metal and paint,
and drove it regularly until an unfortunate set of
circumstances led to it being
stashed in the barn. A rotissarie restoration
over the last two years
revealed the frame and floor pans were eaten with
rust, subsequently replaced
with sheet and frame metal from a wrecked
Tiger.

Fitting the engine and trans along with its rebuilt front
suspension, rebuilt
rear end, good sheet metal and new paint is bring back a
no rust Mk II that most
likely should have gone to the shredder.

It been
more than 30 years since I've driven this Tiger and look forward to
having it
ready for June Jaunt in Pigeon Forge, TN June 16-19.

Alex Gabbard
All-Sunbeam June Jaunt 2011

Open to all British Marques

Where: Pigeon
Forge, TN
When: June 16-17-18-19, 2011 (Thur - Sun)
Location: Oak Tree Lodge
(B&B, on the main drag)
    $65/night + tax, 865-428-7500 (smoke free)
    Ask
for British Car Club Package
Reserved parking for cars, trucks & trailers
Catered Saturday lunch (burgers & dogs, $16/per)
Catered Saturday night dinner
($21/per, 5-7 pm)
Talk: Moonshine in the Mountains (7-8 pm)
Oldies dance
Saturday night (8-11 pm)

Registration fee: $40 per entrant at the Lodge
No
pre-registration

Tech sessions:
1. Thur 2 pm: building a 260 stroker
2. Thur
2 pm: Holman-Moody racing history
3. Fri 10 am: Building a toploader 4-spd
4.
Fri 10 am: body, paint & finish tips
5. Fri 2 pm: dyno tuning a 260 stroker
6.
Fri 2 pm: Tiger/Alpine tech info session

Activities:
1. Fri 11 am: tour to
lunch at an English pub
2. Sat 9 am: drive the Dragon mountain tour (day
trip)
3. Sun 9 am: tour Floyd Garrett's auto museum
4. Pigeon Forge -
Gatlinburg: shows, shopping,
    Titanic, museums, car fun galore

Sponsored