Re: [Tigers] Stumbling issue

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stumbling issue
From: "Buck Trippel" <BuckTrippel@Verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 06:54:22 -0700
Believe it or not... It's possible to have a tank flaking problem and have
the plastic filter clear at the same time. Been there / Done that.

Had clear fuel filter for years. And then it suddenly didn't run. It had
been running fine which it will do as long as there's gas in the bowls. It
rev'ed and had punch because it could  run of the bowl's fuel. Suddenly it
stopped.

The flakes had packed into the outlet tube connecting the cross-over pipe
inside the trunk to the fuel line underneath so tightly they first acted as
a screen that stopped any flakes  getting to the clear filter... for years!

 Eventually the "dam" packed down tight enough to give the symptoms Andy
has. Fuel can seep past the blockage and the pump will keep it pressurized.
Eventually the bowls will run low on fuel. This will cause the car to simply
stop, usually without warning. Waiting a few minutes allows a bit more fuel
to seep through & the engine can be restarted and seems fine.... For the
time being.

The blockage can be cleared in a minute or two. In a safe area, loosen the
11/16" nut on the fuel line and pop the fuel line out of the tube. If gas
pours out you don't have a problem. If it's stopped or just a trickle, a
wire coat hanger with a small hook bent it into it can be inserted and then
used to pull the mess out. A very large pan and safety glasses are in order.

good luck,

BT
P.S. a good flashlight will allow you to see flaking in the passenger side
tank through the gas cap.