[Tigers] Driving Lights

To: "Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Driving Lights
From: "Bill Rogers Motorsport Memories" <milward@roadrunner.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:06:56 -0700
When we attended SUNI at Rapid City, part of the program was a sunset ceremony
at Mount Rushmore, which meant driving back down the mountain using Rootes
issue period correct sealed beam headlights. I felt that was dangerous and
resolved to upgrade the lighting on the Tiger. Ours is a pretty stock driver
rather than a show queen so I have no difficulty making upgrades. I don't cut
and drill and I keep the old parts, but I replaced the headlights with Hella
quartz lights from Moss and added a Lucas (Moss repro) SLR576 5" Spot on the
driver's side and a similar SFT576 Fog on the passenger side. These are period
correct and from my experience in the 60's UK, were probably more common than
Rootes branded items - the factory rally cars used them anyway since they were
better.

The tricky bit was finding a set of handed Rootes brackets for them that mount
to the bumper brackets; they jog over to clear the overriders and the hood
when open. For some reason one side is quite common but the other is rare. The
fog has a housing for a headlight bulb with dim (fog) and high beam
filaments.

I used relays and a two position lighting switch. I mounted the switch in the
center hole in the dash; posiition 1-  fog, position 2 - spot plus fog high
beam. While I was at it I replaced the turn signal switch with one that has
the headlight flash feature and another relay.

Bill Rogers