[Tigers] (no subject)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] (no subject)
From: "Kirk Smith" <twotigers@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:20:37 -0700
The other day, I decided to finally get around to fixing my non-working
ignition warning light.  It's been in that condition for the 23 years I've
owned this Tiger.  During that time, I've had flawless performance from my
generator.  Even had a battery last 18 years in this car with only
occasional driving!

The bulb tested fine.tracing the wiring, I found it was cut clean about 3
inches behind the light.  I found the other ends hanging in the wiring.  The
wires were color code correct with the wiring diagram.  This is probably
when a bell should have gone off, but I went ahead and  connected the wires
and turned on the ignition.  Turning the key on produced a red light.
Started the car, still had a red light.  Revved the motor, still had a red
light (although somewhat dimmer).  Darn thing never went out!  After about a
minute or so, I shut off the car and disconnected the wires.

Upon re-starting the car, the ammeter showed a slight discharge.  Revving
the motor never budged the ammeter needle.  Previous to connecting the
ignition light, the ammeter would swing from slight discharge at idle to a
positive charge condition while running at speeds above idle (as it should).
I was hoping the ammeter had just taken a hit from the ignition light hook
up , but shortly thereafter I developed a miss in the engine and cranking
speed at start up was starting to slow.  Apparently, the generator didn't
take too kindly to the ignition light experiment.  Now I know why the wires
had been cut and left  hanging there!

I'm hoping those on the list with more electrical expertise than myself (and
that would be most of you) might be able to shed some light on what
happened, and if you think the generator is a goner.TIA!

Kirk

B382000503