Re: [Tigers] GT40-P crate motor

To: "'Nathan'" <vesselofgrace@hotmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] GT40-P crate motor
From: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 23:42:09 -0500
Nathan,

The 302 I built for my Geo Tracker has GT-40P heads. They are supposed to be
worth about 25h.p. over stock E7TE heads. The spark plugs are indeed positioned
slightly different from the other Ford heads, but the header fitment issue
involves changing the spark plugs rather than how the headers bolt to the
engine. I am using standard aftermarket shorty headers, so I would expect the
SS headers to bolt to the engine and line up with the rest of your system with
no problem. YMMV, of course.

The GT40-P heads are considered about the best factory iron heads and are
popular with people, like me, who are trying to get a little more power at the
lowest cost. You probably would have no problem swapping them for some other
late model Ford heads such as the E7TE's from later model 5.0 Mustangs. You
might even pick up a few dollars on the deal.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't think the heads should keep you from
doing the deal. Whether you try using the existing heads or swapping for others
would be up to you. You might try bolting a set of SS headers to the engine
before it goes into the car and see if it looks like you can change the plugs.
Fortunately, modern ignition systems can make plug changes a fairly rare
occurrence in any event.

HTH,
A. C. Tynes
New Orleans