Re: [Tigers] Ballast resistor voltage

To: <awtiger@cox.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ballast resistor voltage
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:50:43 -0400
Andy
        I have always read 9 volts.  I see the Shop Manual states 6-7 volts
but you have to remember this is the stock coil, points and condenser
system.  I checked my Tiger and I see a 1 volt drop but my system is not
stock so all bet are off there.

        The Shop Manual has a section on the voltages in the stock ignition
system and it states 6.6 v at the ballast resistor when the points are
closed.

        The Ballast Resistor is around 2 ohms so your not going to see a big
drop in voltage.  I believe the voltage drop will vary some as the resistor
heats up as it will with other factors in the ignition system.     The stock
coil, points and condenser system is a tuned electrical circuit; beyond that
description - I'm not an electrical wizard.

Ron Fraser