Re: [Tigers] removing tall tiger valve covers

To: "'Russ and Tammy C.'" <rtscolgan@yahoo.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] removing tall tiger valve covers
From: "Mike Michels" <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 23:13:43 -0800
If you have the cast aluminum "Tiger powered by Ford" variety and non roller
rocker arms, it should be possible to remove them without dropping the
engine or removing the intake manifold, but it's tight. In my experience, it
required removing the generator or alternator and the expansion tank to make
some room to maneuver. The right side was no problem to remove. The trick
with the left side was to rotate the crankshaft until both the # 8 cylinder
intake and exhaust valves were partially open, so the rockers were sitting a
little bit lower than when closed. I could then roll the valve cover
outboard over the rockers and off the engine, but it involved a lot of
grunting and unsavory language.  If your valve covers are the taller type to
accommodate roller rockers or locking valve adjusters, it may be necessary
to drop the engine.