Re: [Tigers] Can this be true? Non Tiger

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Can this be true? Non Tiger
From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 15:11:55 -0500
I just re-read the C&D article on the M5, they say the sound system
performs "playback of the engine noise..." to enhance the experience.
This may imply that there are microphones being used or it may just be
playing a .wav file sync'd to the engine rpm. Several car (Nissan) and
motorcycle (Yamaha, Aprilla) manufacturers are using the high-tech
version of the old exhaust cut-out. A butterfly valve system upstream in
the exhaust is computer controlled to direct the flow through the main
muffler system in normal cruising but when you stick your foot into the
metal it allows the exhaust to flow through a less restrictive, and
louder, pathway. Since the EPA noise and mileage cycle do not require
WFO driving, the system is not activated and the vehicle meets the 80 dB
requirements. It is interesting that BMW chose to go with an audio
route, although it seems a little pricey to add something that a set of
Flowmasters would fix.

Reminds me of my Mattel V-rroom engine I clamped on my Schwinn Stingray
when I was a kid.  At least I knew that one was fake....

Bugz