Re: [Tigers] KUDOS

To: genepadgett@comcast.net,rfraser@bluefrog.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] KUDOS
From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@comcast.net> ryville.ca.mail.comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 16:08:08 -0400
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
At 03:57 PM 4/15/2012, genepadgett@comcast.net wrote:
 >Not sure if I am on topic here or not, but there is a counter set
 >screw/screws in the seat frame that I am told are "Wentworth" (sp?). I
 >have been told that the seat frames were made by a company whose main
 >line of business was making seats for the British Aircraft industry,
 >when there was one going back in the 60's Wentworth was supposedly the
 >standard used in the British Aircraft industry back then. Anyone
 >remember the Comet airliner? I believe SS sells the screws, look under
 >"upholstery" for special screws. Hope that is relevant!
 >
 >Gene

It is Whitworth.  This is the Sunbeam of thread
systems as it is the least likely to come
unthreaded in use.  It is the norm for
microscopes and scientific apparatus.  (The Leica
thread-mount drove the Japanese and Soviets crazy
when they tried to copy it, as it is a
fascinating conflation, being 39mm by 26
turns-per-inch Whitworth, but, then, E. Leitz
Wetzlar was and remains a microscope
company.)  In a similar vein, radio gear uses
Bristol spline attachments and, no, these are NOT
Allen headed machine screws.  Use an Allen wrench
on your Questar telescope, and you'll strip the screw heads.)

As Frank Zappa said, sit up in that chair and PAY ATTEMPTION!  <he grins>

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!