Re: [Tigers] 'Lift-the-Dot' stud problem

To: Alexander Washick <alw6464@gmail.com>, Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 'Lift-the-Dot' stud problem
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 00:29:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "Rollright@aol.com" <Rollright@aol.com>, Tiger e-mail List <tigers@autox.team.net>
I have two hole in need now and that w/out checking my Alpines or unrestored
Tigers, so I want to buy the tool and inserts- would Ton or Al post
information on where to order from? AND Thanks in advance!
TtT

Tony Lang
(TtT)

<alw6464@gmail.com>
Rollright@aol.com; Tiger e-mail List <tigers@autox.team.net>
>Sent: Friday,
November 2, 2012 11:17 PM
>Subject: Re: [Tigers] 'Lift-the-Dot' stud problem
>
>Tom is right!!  I have used these for many years in business and on cars.
>If  you have a hole with no threads and no easy access to the back this
>your
answer. Saved me many of times on the job. It works kind of like a
>rivet but
with threads in the center. Marson is the most popular make and I
>think they
use the term Grip-Serts. Sizes 6/32 -3/8 and they come in a kit
>and you if
don't do much work, maybe you could borrow the tool.  Al

2012 at 10:47 PM, Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net> wrote:

>> If you guys
haven't used Riv-nuts yet this is the perfect opportunity.  I
>> know that
it's not OEM "stock", but it fixes the problem.  The studs are
>> available in
the 8-32 version and with practice and care (not to over
>> squeeze the tool)
the Riv-nut makes a fool-proof repair that is much
>> stronger than the
sheetmetal version.  I'd send a pic, but the list would
>> strip it.
>>

>> On 11/2/2012 1:29 PM, Rollright@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>   The
Lift-the-Dot (now to be referred to as LtD) stud, just behind the
>>> door

on the U.S. near the soft top hinge, has widened the anchoring sheet-metal

to  the point where it won't stay in the bodywork, even with a new stud

with
>>> fresh  threads.
>>>        I'd sure like  to fix this, and I've even
tried Gorilla Glue. GG
>>> worked initially with the top's female snap, but
the  tonneau did it
>>> right in.
>>>        So, how do I fix this situation?
I've been told  there is almost
>>> no way
>>> to get a goober of JB Weld or
the like to the bottom of  the machine screw
>>> threads, as access is nearly
impossible.
>>>        Tod Brown tells me his has the same problem, so if  he
and I have
>>> the
>>> same issue, I'll bet it is really common.
thought of putting a LtD with a bolt on the  bottom, but then
>>> you get

into the access thing again, trying to get the nut on  the bottom of the

bolt.

tigers@autox.team.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

comcast.net<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/modtiger@comcast.net>