Re: [Tigers] 3/8 fuel line

To: Joel Martin <jmartiniii@yahoo.com> s=q20121106; t=1354269283; bh=ZE6Ul42Jk6sCWz/0PU9/gaaFm7JQ5BwHC8+n8M/n34A=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=pnyQfz4doT1qqa+j4TS3DfwHVy+Ob7kgjRlGtjikdXYfgxHPFucijHInwuQgEcjTx +MUQCGPm6ZNSvILDFwjd1j4WFw10QNtPsLpPQouOeJn4jkM1TOFKSVR5qvCys5kO3t c6c+hSlNDnUctvizPVJAvBecppiEa0UAFg+chXghbtsoKc8+OjxQ30y/BANZJUR4is Nz4zolO8hDb8vTFcAYbWeP5nqdcdRhx7bOpRP3rInfB0xTBZ+WGhqq3PKBe/cbul6g X706skl4pXt77iG/BvEryefHLfJtMSfVI++OqwhZlK7fT89RALu7PWRFFz75O+QxSK pFXJaOdLLWoSQ==
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 3/8 fuel line
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 09:54:42 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: tigers-bounces@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
----- Original Message -----

Joel,

I am also in the process of running 3/8 inch fuel line.

There is some great info provided by Owain Lloyd back on July 4, 2011 about
connecting up 3/8 inch lines. The nipple on the crossover tube between the
tanks is a british standard pipe thread. Your regular compression nut made over
here will not connect properly. ( BTW same stuff applies for the SU fuel pump
connections, not that it is relevant to your project.)

Owain identifies an adapter and source that will connect a 3/8 inch line to the
cross over pipe nipple. They can be purchased from a plumbing supply house in
the UK, via the internet. Check out http://www.bes.co.uk/products/145a.asp and
scroll down to Compression X BSP Parallel Female. Owain said the part number
was either 7477 or 7476. I ordered both of them. The smaller female side one is
the correct one.

What is particularly nice about this adapter is that it does not restrict fuel
flow as it comes out of the nipple. The nipple is designed to have a 5/16 line
inserted into it. The adapter screws onto the OUTSIDE of the nipple where the
compression nut originally went. It then has a stop in the middle for a 3/8
inch line coming from the other end. Then there is a compression nut and olive
for a 3/8 line. If you insert a 3/8 inch line in the output side of the adapter
and look through from the nipple side, you see no restriction. The smallest
part of the passage is the ID of the 3/8 (OD) line. Nice.

To install the adapter, you will need to cut off a small piece of the
protective flange underneath the trunk floor to be able to get a wrench on the
adapter. No big deal in my book.

I am running aluminum fuel line since I really do not have the equipment to
bend up and flare stainless. I also have put the pump in the trunk in the
Alpine spare wheel well cavity. I am going to be using a Holley 125 to feed the
347 motor which is not in the car yet.

If you are going to be putting a vertically mounted pump in the stock location
over the muffler, I presume you are also aware of all the issues of related
heat soak failures that can and usually do occur and how to deal with that
potentiality.

Gene